What to submit no later than June 15,2020 (or day after Labor Day, if extended)

The following list is a guide to help you determine what information to provide to Accountability Services to enable us to prepare your 2019 Individual Tax Return(s).  Note: this list has expanded significantly from previous years due to the new tax reform act (Tax Cuts and Jobs Act).  Also, please remember to check all of your online accounts to ensure you provide all tax forms!

​We request you upload PDF, Word or Excel files.  Please avoid uploading JPG (photos) files, Mac or Google files as those take much more time for us to retrieve and convert.  Sometimes readability is impossible.  Note: additional time will add cost to your preparation.

  1. Tax Preparation Agreement
  2. W-2 Forms
  3. Your IP PIN: Identity Protection Personal Number, if IRS sent you one
  4. Copy of your Driver’s License (this is a new state-mandated requirement)
  5. 1099 Forms (Ex: 1099-INT, 1099-R, 1099-B, 1099-S, etc.).  These will be included in your year-end Investment statements.  Provide entire package!
  6. 1099-LTC for Long Term Care (also send all medical expenses – examples below)
  7. Provide crypto currency transaction reports, including income, expenses, and original cost basis.
  8. If you have stock options through your employer:  provide the Realized Gain (Loss) Year End report, or Supplemental Stock Plan Lot Detail report
  9. Pension distributions: explicitly indicate on any 1099-R if it is a distribution from a State or Federal pension
  10. If your Form 1099-R forms indicate that the taxable amount is “unknown” provide supporting details (examples: Qualified Charitable Donations, Court-Ordered distributions, etc.)
  11. K-1 Forms from estates and trusts
  12. K-1 Forms from S-corporations and partnerships:  If this is the first year we are preparing your tax return, we must receive your basis schedules.  You or your former CPA should have this information.
  13. ​K-1 packages from Trusts, Publicly Traded Partnerships, etc.  Please provide the complete package including the cover letter from the partnership; compliance for these K-1s is complex –and expensive for you, as the taxpayer.
  14. All foreign income from foreign financial institutions, corporations, self-employment, etc.
  15. Form 1095-A Health Insurance
  16. Form 1098-Mortgage Interest
  17. Real Estate Taxes paid
  18. If you refinanced a property (home, investment property, etc.), we will need a copy of the Closing Statement
  19. Form 5498 related to your tax-free IRA, SEP retirement, or Health Savings Account (HSA) contributions
  20. Copy of your Auto License Renewal Form showing RTA (Seattle area) tax paid for autos
  21. Proof of quarterly estimated tax payments you made specifically for tax year 2019.  We need either (1) copy of the EFTPS / IRS report, or (2) copies of cancelled checks.  DO NOT include taxes applied from last year’s tax return.  We need all dates and individual amounts paid each date.
  22. If you expect a refund, send us your checking account Bank Name, Routing #, Account #
  23. If you expect to pay and want the IRS to auto-deduct your tax from your checking account, send us your checking account Bank Name, Routing #, Account #
  24. Let us know if you are interested in having us calculate your maximum allowable retirement (IRA, SEP, or Roth contributions)
  25. Cost basis for Sales of Securities.  If you had > 10 sales for the year, please download the transactions into an Excel worksheet.  Click here to request a Securities template.
  26. Charitable donations (separately list cash from non-cash).  Please provide receipts for (1) auctions, (2) vehicle donations, and (3) stock donations.  Otherwise, we do not need your receipts.  For cash gifts, send us a total.  Be sure to include your 2019 total funding to a Donor Advised Fund.  For non-cash gifts, Goodwill provides an easy to follow guide.  Non-cash gifts require date of donation, fair market value, name of charity, and descriptions.
  27. Please provide a report or provide a list or amount of any Qualified Charitable Donations (QCDs) made from your IRA
  28. Form 1098-T: University or College educational expenses – if box 1 is blank, submit proof of payment
  29. Form 1098-E: Student Loan Interest paid (in your name)
  30. Form 1099-Q: Payments made from a Qualified Educational Program (e.g., 529 plan)
  31. If you bought a vehicle or made significant home improvements, or built a home in 2019, provide sales tax amounts on materials only (without labor)
  32. HSA contribution and distribution tax forms (Form 5498-SA and Form 1099-SA)
  33. Health insurance premiums (including long term care)
  34. Net out-of-pocket medical costs.  We do not need your receipts; please provide only your totals for (1) Prescription medicines and drugs, (2) Doctors, dentists, nurses, (3) Hospitals, outpatient centers, nursing home reports.  Also send us your medical-miles driven.
  35. Dependent care statements with EIN and address of provider
  36. ​If you had a household employee (nanny, driver, aide, et al), provide copies of W-2s and all www.care.com/homepay paperwork
  37. Rental income + expenses for each property (QuickBooks Profit & Loss Statement and Balance Sheet).  **ALSO: please specifically tell us if you spent 250 or more hours working in your rental last year.  The definition includes: advertising, negotiating/executing leases, verifying tenant applications, collecting rent, daily operation, management, repair, purchasing materials, supervising employees and independent contractors.​**
  38. Did your Rental business make any payments in 2019 to vendors that would require you to file Form(s) 1099? (e.g., landscapers, painters, maintenance, web developers, attorneys).  If ‘Yes,’ did you or will you file all required Forms 1099?
  39. How many days was each property rented?  How many days did you use the property for personal use?
  40. Closing Disclosure or Settlement statements for all properties, purchased, sold, or rented for the first time in 2019
  41. For properties sold: Form 1099-S, original purchase price, list with costs of improvements
  42. Foreign Bank Account information and interest earned on those accounts.  Failure to disclose can result in a $10,000 penalty!  Click here to request a Foreign Bank Accounts turnaround worksheet.
  43. ​Gifts greater than $15,000 total to any one person during the year
  44. Any other tax forms and/or miscellaneous deductions
  45. Let us know if your marital status changed, new child, moved, etc.
  46. If you are a new client, if you haven’t yet done so, please provide a full copy of last year’s tax return with all schedules, and dates of birth for all family members.
  47. Foreign bank Information for which you have signatory authority:

Name of Bank(s)
Highest balance in 2019 (USD)
Account Number(s)

No need to send us a typed-out summary of your documents!  If you provide the tax forms above, a summary document is unnecessary.

No need to send us receipts or bank statements!  Those documents should be kept by you in the event you need those in the future.  With the exception of some charitable donations, we do not need your receipts, proof of payment, or bank statements!

Foreign Companies – if you personally own 10%+ stock in a foreign company, please also provide:

  1. Foreign entity comparative Balance Sheet (in Excel) translated to English and USD*
  2. Foreign entity Profit & Loss Statement (in Excel) translated to English and USD*
  3. Copy of the foreign tax return, translated to English
  4. Exchange rate utilized
  5. Summary of all intercompany transactions by type
  6. Description of all intercompany transactions and methods utilized to determine amounts
  7. List of all payments paid to shareholders (dates, amounts, payee) along with GL account name(s)
  8. Let us know where manufacturing or services occur?  In US?  Or in the foreign country?

We can perform the exchange rate conversions for you.  We like to give our clients cost savings opportunities for things they can do themselves.

How do I submit my documents?

You have several options for submitting your tax documents.

Option #1:  Digitally

To protect your confidentiality and to give you a handy way to share documents and files safely, you may upload your tax records to your client portal.  Unlike email, this method of file-sharing and storage is highly secure and password-protected.

We request you upload PDF, Word or Excel files.  Please avoid uploading JPG (photos) files, Mac or Google files as those take much more time for us to retrieve and convert.  Sometimes readability is impossible.  Note: additional time will add cost to your preparation.

To access your portal, login under Client Access at www.accountabilityservices.com.  Go to Client Portal > Login.

It’s quick and easy to upload your documents:

  • Go to the Tax Year > Source Documents folder
  • Click the + Upload Files button.  You can also Drag files, or Browse files
  • Navigate to your files on your hard drive and Upload

Once you have uploaded ALL of your tax documents to your client portal, please notify us!  Send an email to TaxTeam@accountabilityservices.com.  At that point, we will know we have everything from you and we can start.

IMPORTANT NOTE:  Please DO NOT send files to us via email.  We cannot guarantee either the security or the confidentiality of any files you transmit via email.

Option #2:  Drop-off, Mail or Fax

You can always deliver your documents and information to us via traditional, hard-copy ways.

Events or Situations that will drive UP the cost of your tax return

  • Rental properties, including Delaware Statutory Trusts
  • Pass-through income from businesses, trusts, or estates
  • Sale of real property (rental, residence, second home, etc.)
  • K-1s from Publicly Traded Partnerships
  • Correcting mistakes made if you previously self-prepared
  • Form 3115 for changes in accounting method (examples:  Missed Depreciation or going from Accrual to Cash, etc.)
  • Form 8824 for deferred gains on like-kind-exchanges (example: exchanging one rental for another, etc.)
  • Forms 5471, 5472, etc., for those owning stock in foreign privately-held corporations
  • Forms 114 and 8938 for disclosure of foreign bank accounts and asset reporting